The Affordable Care Act (also known as “Obamacare”) was signed into law in 2010 to help uninsured Americans get access to affordable health insurance. See below for more information on signing up for health insurance.
How can I get coverage?
If you need help determining the best option for you and your family, schedule a free appointment with a certified Health Insurance Navigator:
North Carolina state-wide line: 1-855-733-3711
Charlotte area line: 980-256-3782
What type of coverage is best for me and my family?
- Medicaid: for pregnant women, children, the elderly, and people with disabilities if income is below 138% of the Federal Poverty Line.
- Affordable Care Act Marketplace: you can purchase a plan that fits your needs. You may qualify for financial assistance if you make between 100% and 400% of the Federal Poverty Line.
If you need help understanding you options, contact us to schedule a free appointment. 1-855-733-3711 or ncnavigator.net
If you don’t qualify for these programs or fall into the “coverage gap,” you can find a map of free and low-cost clinics in Mecklenburg county here.
When can I get coverage?
2. Open Enrollment on the ACA Marketplace: November 1 – December 15 each year. Anyone can enroll.
3. A Special Enrollment Period on the ACA Marketplace: This option is available for specific situations outside of the annual Open Enrollment Period. See below if you qualify. Contact us if you need help filling out your application.
How much can I expect to spend on health insurance?
- If you earn between 100% and 400% of the federal poverty level (FPL), you will qualify for federal subsidies to help reduce the monthly cost of your insurance premium.
- In North Carolina, people earning less than 100% of FPL or more than 400% FPL will not qualify for subsidies.
What do I need to apply?
- Social Security Numbers or immigration document numbers.
- Employer and income information for every member of your household who needs coverage (for example, pay stubs or W-2 forms)
- Policy numbers for any current health insurance plans covering members of your household
- Information on any current coverage or employer based coverage